Tuesday, December 7, 2010

SOME ARE SO YOUNG

I'm sitting here with my coffee and toast, thinking about last week. Two things stand out in my mind, one is the celebration of the life of my best friend, Sarge Sherhag.  I spent some time with his family, his wife Pam and one son, Brent and his finance, Jessica. It was a good time but not long enough.  At least, we have the hope of eternal life with family and friends.
The second thing that comes to mind is the two young children who have come in a few times in the last couple of weeks.  I first noticed them as they came in looking scared.  They looked so young and vulnerable.  Last week I kneeled down behind the couch they were sitting on and talked with them.  I first asked where did they spend the night before.  The girl said, "Outside and we only had one blanket."  I told her to be sure and go downstairs and get a couple of good blankets and if they could find a sleeping bag to take it.  I then asked if they were brother and sister.  They were.  When I asked how old they were, she replied, "He's 12 and I'm 16."  If she was a day over 14 I would be really surprised.  I told her that if they needed anything at all that they were to come to me and ask and I would help them out.  I wanted to take them in my arms and hold them.  I will get their names and story as time goes on.  Pray for these children, and I know that you do as the Lord lays them on your heart.
In another vein, the church I am attending, Denver Christian Indian Center, is putting on a Christmas Play this next Saturday the 11th.  It is written by Daniel Smiley (Dine [Navajo]), a pastor of a church in Black Rock Mt, AZ.  It is written based on the question, how would the Navajo people celebrate the birth of Jesus if they had heard the Gospel before Columbus landed?  Native Americans celebrate events with dance and song, and in this play they dance native dances to celebrate His birth.  Songs will be in Navajo and English, with singers and dancers in full ceremonial regalia.  I am really looking forward to this.  If you are in the area, come by and watch this.  It starts at 7pm and last about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
We have received word that the daughter of one our board members is critically ill.  She is in her twenties and suffers from complications from diabetes and other problems that doctors are not sure of.  I have not met her but I am told she is a sweetheart and is always positive and upbeat, even in her pain which is constant. She now has trouble walking as her feet are so painful. Many people are taking days in which to pray for her.  Her name is Megan and I know that she and her family are looking to the Lord for healing.  Please pray for Megan.
I'm going to try and post some photos on this post, but if not, I will try to do it on a separate post.
The Lord is good and He is good all the time.  He has been a sure help and a firm foundation for me through out my lifetime and especially in the last year.  I simply don't  know what people do who do not have the Lord holding them.  To God be the glory!
Love ya'll
Troy

1 comment:

Randy said...

Pastor Troy, i sit here at work reading your blogs for the unknown time. I think where my kids are and what they get to come home to. There is that word, HOME, a place with heat, a roof, walls, and it contains a bed for each one. Some of the places that the kids, grownups and children you run into call home are entirely different. Some don't know what fatherly or motherly love is or remembers it. Do they remember what a hug feels like or the words "I LOVE YOU" sound like? I thank GOD for you and the staff of SOXPLACE for what you are doing. Giving that warm home feeling, the loving, caring words, prayers, and a warm meal. Clothing, bedding, and of course, sox. I am truely BLESSED to be able to call you my friend and brother. You are an inspiration, guide , and Godly influence to me and my family. For that iwill never forget you and never stop Praying for you and SOXPLACE. I love you Pastor Troy.