Monday, November 8, 2010

HAPPENINGS AT SOX PLACE

Another interesting week here at Sox Place. Out of the clear blue I had one young man ask when we were going to start GED classes.  I don't know if I mentioned it or not but I want to start helping any who want their GED to get it.  I explained that if he would keep in touch I would help him.  Then he asked about reading and writing. Again, I told him that I would help him all I could.  Not sure how to do it but with the Lord's help I'll help him learn to read and write.
On Friday a Fundraiser for Sox Place took place at Dave and Busters.  D & B has been described as an adult Chuck & Cheese.  Video games to the max!  This Fundraiser was organized, paid for and run by the executive administrative assistant to one of the Sr. VP's at Cricket.  We had several corporate sponsors who donated high ticket items for an auction and many other individuals donated items. I was amazed and pleased to see the corporate backing and interest shown for the ministry of Sox Place.   There were two key Microsoft executives who flew in from California to interview Doyle and attend the Fundraiser.  I have no idea how much money was raised, but it goes to the operational budget of Sox Place.  However, our monthly budget still depends heavily on the regular giving of individuals and churches. The Lord has shown favor for this humble ministry.
Yesterday, Sunday, I attended a small 1st Nations church, Denver Christian Indian Church.  The elder is a soft-spoken, gentle man, Richard Silversmith, a Navajo.  I felt very comfortable and was warmly greeted by many.  We sang Lamb of God, Walking into the Light with native drum accompaniment, Cover Me, and one song that really moved me - Just a Closer Walk sung in Navajo.  It reminded me of the time I was in the Philippines and heard the missions hymn, Send the Light, send the Gospel light, let it shine from shore to shore. It was sung in Tagalog. We here sang it for missionaries to take the Gospel to foreign shores. I was hearing it sung by those on foreign shores asking me to send the Gospel!  I was moved then in my spirit and I was moved yesterday to hear What a Friend sung by Navajos in Navajo. I'm going to go back to that church.
The Lord is gently sharing some thoughts with me about serving. The other day I was in the kitchen washing out some large pots when the Holy Spirit brought to my mind the man who wrote Practicing the Presence. He had been wealthy and a party animal when the Lord got a hold of him. He gave it all up to serve in a monastery by washing the dirty pots and pans so others could be served hot meals.  While washing he practiced the presence of the Lord.  Oh, please don't think that I am something super holy, I'm not.  The Lord is simply showing me aspects and rewards of true servant hood.  It is all about Him and the ones being served, not about the one doing the serving. Matt 25:35,36

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Troy, please send me the address of Sox Place so I can make a donation? vkestell@aol.com Hugs, Vikki

Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor Troy, Beau here. I hope all is as the will of the Lord. I really like your blog post. I have been slow at getting on here, but you know how I spend the majority of my time. I sure do miss your company at the Centerton Inn, more so your company than the food and I will be praying for Sox's Place and you. May God bless you my friend Beau Broadus

Anonymous said...

I would have liked to have been there with you at the Sermon you attended. I know that the Lord must have been lifted up to be exalted. Praise the Lord God Almighty.