Saturday, October 30, 2010

WHAT IS A CRUSTY?

A crusty is one who is also called a traveler and a train rider. They travel across the county by hopping trains and going to other areas, as in south this time of year to Phoenix or Tucson. While the name crusty may not be a pretty description it is one liked by them. A crusty is one who is so covered in dirt and soot that they are crusty. It is rare to see one by themselves, usually there are 3 to 4 and sometimes there are girls that are traveling also.  It is unusual but they are the most polite and grateful of all the ones who come to SoxPlace. They know and use the words thank you, please, may I,etc.  I had one approach me about getting some food to take along.  They needed enough for 16 hours.  Cans of soup mix, ravioli, chili,  ramen noodles, tuna, and the like.  Also, they are likely to have a dog on a leash with them.  I haven't asked them yet about the logistics of how they know where the train is going, how to get on and stay on, and other such items of interest, but I will.
This week I met Turtle, Squirrel, Detroit, Ice Box, and Black. A street name is not one you give yourself, it is given by the others on the street.  Doyle and Jacob have identified 22 different types or categories of street connected youth, of which crustys are one. I'll share others as we go along here.
I was standing next to a young man who was sitting in a high stool.  As we were talking I placed my arm behind his back to lean on the chair.  He looked up at me and said, "Don't put your hand behind my back."  Whoa, I apologized to him and made sure I didn't put my hand behind his back again.  So much to learn.
As I have said we give out socks everyday.  One young man said to me that he did not have any socks on and could he have a pair.  I immediately got him a pair.
A blessing that the Lord has allowed me is that I get to spend time with my son Brian, my daughter-in-law Sarah, my grandson Gage and my daughter Chelley.  I am now having lunch with my son every Monday. I've hung out with Chelley over chicken strips and pizza. For the two of us hanging out together is talking or reading.  I know some of you will say, hanging out reading, that's not hanging out.  OH yes it is! In the same room and just knowing she is over there is a real blessing for me.  We have not been able to do that in the past.  She was looking at some of my books the first evening and she said, "Dad, these are first edition Zane Greys.  Did you know that?"  Sure didn't but now those are on the top shelf. Copyright 1911, 1912, 1919, 1926, etc.  These are books that I have had for many years and have enjoyed reading, but did not know they were first editions.
There is a Japanese TV producer that has been in contact with Doyle about doing a type of documentary for the Japanese audience. The question that is being asked is why are American teenagers running away from home.  Now that is a good question to ask ourselves.  They want to show it in Japan I believe as a statement to the Japanese culture to seek answers so they can avoid the same phenomenon.
I am reading a novel by Jonathan VerHoeven, a young man I met while I was serving as Chaplain in the Civil Air Patrol.  He told me a few months back, in a "two ships passing at sea" type meeting, that he was writing a series of  WWII novels about the Navy in the South Pacific, the titles based on the Navy Hymn.  Being the old salt that I am, I was very interested. The first just came out, Perils On The Sea.  His historical facts of sea battles and Navy life are so right on. If you enjoy Christian Fiction, Navy life, WWII history, naval battles, then you should get a hold of this one.
I want to leave you with a quote from Sarah Young's mighty devotional, Jesus Calling.
Jesus is speaking, "Anxiety is a result of envisioning the future without Me.  So the best defense against worry is staying in communication with Me.  When you turn your thoughts toward Me, you can think much more positively.  Remember to listen, as well as to speak, making your thoughts a dialogue with Me."

Keep praying for us, the street connected youth, and the needs of the ministry.
Love ya'll
Troy
Matt 25:35,36

No comments: