Wednesday, January 29, 2014

WHAT TO DO WHEN FEELING OVERWHELMED

MANY TIMES IN LIFE WE ARE FACED WITH CIRCUMSTANCES THAT OVERWHELM US AND MAKES US WANT TO COWER IN FEAR.  WHAT TO DO?

I'm borrowing some thoughts from an old friend of mine, George Magdalany, Pastor of Hope Chapel Hawthorne, CA.  George and I, about the same time, went out from Hope Chapel Hermosa Beach to plant churches, he to Hawthorne, CA., and I started Hope Chapel Albuquerque, NM.

Turn to 2 Chronicles 20:1-30, the whole chapter.  There was a vast army coming against Judah. King Jehoshaphat did some things that we can do when facing overwhelming odds, or a situation that seems impossible.

First he called for all of Judah to fast, then he went into the temple of the Lord and prayed.

In that prayer he first saw God exalted above everything: "O Lord, God of our fathers, are you not the God who is in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you"(v.6). When I am (we are) faced with threatening circumstances, I (we) must see God as He really is - mightier and more powerful than the enemy.  My faith will rise when I meditate on the fact that the Lord is far above all "rule and authority, power and dominion". (Eph 1:21)

Next, Jehoshaphat stood on God's promises and remembered His past faithfulness: "Are You not our God, who drove out the inhabitants of this land before Your people Israel, and gave it to the descendants of Abraham Your friend forever?"(v.7)  We MUST see and believe and act on the fact that God is a promise keeper. If He says it in His Word, it WILL come to pass. God, who has delivered me in the past WILL deliver me now, because He doesn't change. (Mal 3:6)

Then Jehoshaphat prayed specific prayers without mincing words (vv. 10-11).  He poured out his heart and trusted God to deal with the specific problem. Our prayers need to be specific and aimed directly at the problems we face. God knows our heart, so we should be honest and tell Him.  Then, when we receive answers, we can give the glory to God.

Last, Jehoshaphat, admitted the situation was too much for him to deal with on his own: "For we (I) have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us (me), nor do we (I) know what to do, but our (my) eyes are upon You" (vs 12). We, men especially, think we are competent enough to deal with any situation or circumstance.  However, like Jehoshaphat did, we (I) must confess our (my) dependence on the Lord, who is well able to deal with every situation we (I) face.

God provided a plan that was far above any plan that Jehoshaphat could have thought up. What was that plan?  Face the enemy, praise God, whose love endures forever", and watch Him work in our (my) behalf (v21).

We (I), too, can experience victory as we (I) pray to and praise the One who is able to deliver us (me)!

This came to me while I am in what could be an overwhelming, costly, situation. I will face it, praise my heavenly Father, who loves me, and I will watch Him work  and carry me through.  Praise His holy name!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Praying for you, I know the Lord is going to provide for you, Praise Jesus ! Thanks for the words, I know that it is true because I did just this and Jesus is working in my life, as he always has, once I stopped trying to do things for myself and let him do it "his way, in his time, not mine" You are such an inspiration to me, I appreciate you and your encouragement.