Sunday, October 17, 2010

FIRST WEEK AT SOX PLACE

Just over a week ago I left Bentonville for Denver.  On Thursday I loaded up the truck with the help of Ken Foeppel, Brad Hill and Tim Murphy. That was after I had taken a tumble out of the back of the truck, hitting the bumper with my lower left back ribcage, and then hitting the concrete with my head.  The odd thing is that I never had a tender spot or knot on my head!   I really had no pain, just some discomfort, until Saturday morning, then I was in constant aching.  Coughing and sneezing were two things I told myself not to do, but when I slipped up, the pain was excruciating.
I arrived at Sox Place about 2:30pm and we started throwing things off, at least the others did.  It turns out that there was a 4 band concert that night next door and they were going to start unloading about 3:30.  I was bent over in pain and could only point where things went, up a narrow staircase into the two rooms that was going to be my home.  It was around 7 or 8 when we finished getting things situated.  I spent that evening with Chelley (my daughter) and could hardly move off the sofa, except with great pain in my left side.
I spent the next day with Chelley, Brian and Sarah (my son and daughter-in-law) and of course Gage my grandson.  I had called back to New Life Christian Center in Centerton, AR, my home church and asked for prayer.  As Sunday passed I could feel my back getting better.  I now have a tender spot back there but no pain, thank the Lord and you for your prayers.
Monday I did a little rearranging of boxes so my bed was accessible. I was living and now sleeping among the boxes.  Then hung out with Doyle, my brother and boss. Some more straightening and to bed because Tuesday was my first day and I was being thrown in at the deep end.
I got up and started warming up some pulled pork sandwiches that had been donated the day before, about 200. Couldn't find regular coffee so I fixed decaf, bad mistake.  I thought I'd go down on the street and just observed the traffic.  First day in 2 or 3 months that it rained.  I was out for about 10 minutes and got wet and cold so I turned to go back inside.  OH, NO!  I'm locked out. No keys, no phone, nothing.  It was very funny later but not right then.  I knew Doyle would be there around 9, and it is now 7:45.  I had on a hooded sweat shirt and jeans and they were wet by now.  I looked like some of those we served.  I began to ask the Lord how these young people stayed dry and warm.  Then began to pray for them. Doyle told me later that they often do not stay dry.  They have come in here with clothes and sleeping bags soaked.  As he put it, they just learn to survive.  We provide  hot meals, clothes, sleeping bags, blankets, etc, as these things are donated.
About 8:45 Doyle drove up with Josh, my nephew and boss.  Josh looked at me and started laughing, would have been rolling on ground if he had not been in van.  They drove on around to the back and let me in. The sandwiches were kind of dried out.
I met some different kind of people that day and the next few days.  Charlotte, looks about 18, and said she thought her little toe was broken.  It seems she was bumped by a car and her foot run over. She absolutely refused to see a doctor.  Not much we could do.  I met Smiley, Shaggy, Freckles, Kimmy and her infant daughter, Tina, Holly (she was a street person but now provides addiction counseling) and many others.
Friday we had a group of college students from Sterling College in Kansas come in for about 5 hours to help out.  They cleaned, moved boxes (mine), talked with the street youth, played a card game with them and generally got things done we had not been able to get to.  They were a blessing. I have a living room without boxes now.
Saturday we had a home group from a local church bring hamburgers and hot dogs. They set up in the alley and when through, there was about a dozen dogs not eaten.  They wanted to know how they could get more involved.  I, of course, mentioned bringing a meal once a week.  They will bring chili on occasion.  One lady went to Target and bought 4 sleeping bags as one person asked for one and we were out.  It seems that she had been kicked out of her home at 16, so she knew the hardships these youth face each day and night.
My nephew, Josh, mentioned to me that being around this type of ministry for long periods of time can drain you and wear away at you spiritually and that you need prayer-er supporters and a body of believers to connect with. That is going to be my earnest search, to find a body of believers to connect with locally.  I'm so thankful for all you who are praying for me and this ministry.  So many of you at New Life Christian Center have told me that you would pray for me.  Thank you, and I truly appreciate that.  Nothing can be accomplished for the Kingdom without prayer.   It is truly spiritual warfare here but the enemy is defeated and we  have the victory through Jesus!
Love you all.

No comments: