Wednesday, October 6, 2010

WHAT ABOUT JEANNE? (2)

I think I was in denial, or at least not remembering information from the oncologist.  In December '09 we met with the oncologist who said the cancer was back.  I guess I had conveniently forgotten that we had been told that there was no known medical cure.  He said he could try another combination of chemo drugs.  Jeanne asked what they were and said she had tried them before and had pretty bad reactions to them.  She asked to wait until after Christmas to start them.  She wanted to go to Albuquerque to see our new grandson, Gage, Brian and Sarah's first born and our first grandchild.  She knew when she started the chemo treatment she would not be able to travel.  I thank the Lord that she decided that.
She made the trip to Albuquerque and back just fine.  No oxygen or wheelchair.  I will always be thankful that she was able to spend time with Gage.  Even now I can hardly hold back the tears that begin to come.
She started the first chemo treatment on Dec 30th, a Wednesday.  On Saturday night she had a severe reaction.  On Tuesday she went to her morning Bible Study at church.  Her second treatment was on December, Jan 6.  That Saturday night there was another severe and violent reaction.  I was ready through out the night to call 911, but Jeanne did not want it.  She made the decision that night that she was not going to have anymore treatments.   Again, she drove herself to church to meet with the women for Bible study.  They could tell she was not feeling good but I don't think more than one or two knew what was happening.  I was out of town that day for business. 
On Wed the 13th, we sat with the oncologist and told him no more treatments.  The thought went through my mind that I needed to start preparing for her eventual struggle and death, little did I know how soon however.
Again I need to stop for now.  I'll pick this up in a few hours or maybe days.  It's both hard and good to write this.  I'm still amazed at the good Hand of the Lord through all this.  There were times we could see the obvious working of the Lord and I haven't shared it all.  He was the anchor of my soul the last 4 years and continues to be.
Until next time may the Lord bless you all and keep you through your circumstances.  Read Hebrews 4:16.

1 comment:

TheAutoMomma said...

Ah,"little Dad." I hadn't known the full story till now. How hard this must have been for you, and Jeanne too, even though she knew exactly where her path was leading, I'm sure! We are so thankful that she could spend Gage's first Christmas with us, that's something we'll always have. If you ever want someone to pray with just give me a call! Gage and I are always around. I've been in CO most of my life-I know its a strange and interesting place. It'll be a big adjustment! But I so hope you can feel at home here, and know that what you are doing is such a blessing to others. Brian and I are always hear for you, and prayer support is only a call away.
~Sarah

P.S. ~ having gotten to know Jeanne, even for the short time I knew her, is SUCH a blessing to me. She is an inspiration in so many ways. A beautiful, strong, loving woman of God who followed his path no matter what! Of course, I'm blessed to have you for my father in law as well!